An effective way to increase the number of words you know is to learn Spanish prefixes and suffixes.
This article is related to a commonly used suffix. A suffix is a word ending. Different words which have the same suffix attached have similar meanings. That’s why when you once learn the meaning of one suffix; you can guess the meaning of a new word which ends in the same suffix. This awareness will speed up your vocabulary learning process.
One of the frequently used Spanish suffixes is “-dor”.
When”-dor” is attached to a verb, a noun is formed which can indicate
1. the performer of an action
- “bailar” is to dance. “bailador” is the person who dances, i.e. dancer.
- “vender” is to sell. “vendedor” is the person who sells, i.e. seller.
Note that the last letter of the verb is omitted when “dor” is attached. It is always the case.
The well-known Spanish word matador whose primary meaning is killer, follows the same pattern:
- matar is to kill and matador is killer
Sometimes the meaning of the noun ending in “-dor” will not exactly reflect the meaning of the verb. But it will be still very close. For instance,
- hablar means to speak, hablador means talkative
2. a profession
- repartir is to distribute, repartidor is distributor
- diseñar is to design; diseñador is designer
3. a place
- comer is to eat; comedor: dining room
- recibidir is to welcome; recibidor: hall
4. an instrument or a machine:
- lavar is to wash and lavadora is a washing machine
Below is a list of some of the common nouns which have the suffix “-dor” attached.
|bailar: do dance||bailador: dancer|
|cantar: to sing||cantador: singer of popular songs|
|comprar: to buy||comprador: buyer|
|dictar: to dictate||dictador: dictator|
|educar: to educate||educador: educator|
|ganar: to win||ganador: winner|
|jugar: to play||jugador: player|
|operar: to operate||operador: operator, surgeon|
|patina: to skate||patinador: skater|
|pescar: to fish||pescador: fisherman|
|planchar: to iron||planchador: person who does the ironing|
|predicar: to preach||predicador: preacher|
|trabajar: to work||trabajador: worker|
|vender: to sell||vendedor: seller|
|comer: to eat||comedor: dining room|
|hablar: to speak||hablador: talkative|
|contar: to count||contador: accountant|
|matar: to kill||matador: kiler|
|diseñar: to design||diseñadora: designer|
|repartir: to distribute||repartidor: distributor|
|recibidir: to welcome||recidibidor: hall|
|lavar: to wash||lavadora: washing maschine|